Each year, the Maryland Bar Foundation offers the Legal Excellence Awards to honor members of the legal community.
Previous Award Recipients
Advancement of Professional Competence
- 2017 James Archibald, Esq.
- 2016 Hon. William G. Connelly
- 2015 Hon. Julia B. Weatherly
- 2014 Leonard R. Stamm
Steven P. Lemmey Award for the Advancement of Public Service Responsibility
- 2019 Hon. Thomas G. Ross
- 2017 Debbie Johnston, Esq. (posthumously)
- 2016 Scott G. Patterson
- 2015 Glenn M. Grossman
- 2014 Steven P. Lemmey
Advancement of the Rights of the Disadvantaged
- 2020 Hon. Nelson W. Rupp, Jr.
- 2019 Cecilia B. Paizs
- 2017 Hon. George Lipman
- 2016 Matthew B. Stubenberg
- 2015 Raymond E. DiBiagio, Jr.
- 2014 The Homeless Persons Representation Project
Advancement of Advocacy for Justice
- 2020 Dean Renée McDonald Hutchins
- 2019 Susan K. Francis
- 2017 Laure Ruth, Esq.
- 2016 Gary C. Norman
- 2015 Debra L. Gardner
- 2014 Professor Michael A. Millemann
Advancement of Public Understanding of the Law
- 2019 Erik S. Atas
- 2017 Irwin Kramer, Esq.
- 2016 David Pantzer
- 2015 Kathleen H. Meredith
Hon. Timothy E. Meredith
- 2014 Hon. Pamila J. Brown
The Legal Excellence Awards remind us and our communities what Maryland lawyers stand for.
Each year, the Maryland Bar Foundation presents the Legal Excellence Awards to honor members of the legal community. These members embody the spirit of the Foundation’s mission: honor, integrity, justice, and knowledge.
To be eligible for the award, nominees must be currently licensed to practice in Maryland, be a dues-paying member of the MSBA, practice predominately in Maryland, be actively be engaged in the practice of law for the past 12 months, and must not be a prior recipient of the award, with the exception of lawyers and laypersons being eligible for the Advancement of Public Understanding of the Law award.